3 easy DIY pre-workout snacks
Have you ever been in the middle of a great workout session when you suddenly felt completely drained? It’s not always a sign of being out of shape. It might have something to do with what you ate (or didn’t eat) before you started exercising. A lot of people avoid snacking before their workout because they fear it will make them feel nauseous. And while it’s wise not to chow down a big meal right before training, taking in the right fuel can make all the difference.
These 3 pre-workout snacks are easy to make yourself and will help keep your body going when you work out. The best pre-workout snacks are a balanced combination of carbs, protein, and fats that are good for you. Enjoy these tasty and healthy pre-workout snacks ideally 60 to 30 minutes before you start exercising.
1. Apple Oat Greek Yoghurt Muffins
Okay, you’ll have to use your oven for this one. But these muffins are still quite easy and quick to make. And they’re worth every minute! These sweet little muffins will satisfy your sweet tooth with their natural sweetness from applesauce. They also contain plenty of fiber, because of the oats and yogurt. Make sure to hide them from hungry friends and relatives or they’ll be gone before you know it.
- 1 cup (120 g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup (80 g) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (225 g) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup (50 g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium-sized apple (120 g), peeled, cored, and grated
- 1/2 cup (80 g) raisins
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (176 C) and prepare a muffin pan by spraying the cavities with cooking spray or lining them with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Lightly beat the egg in a separate bowl. Whisk in the yogurt, applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla, and grated apple, stirring until well-combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing gently until just combined. Fold in the raisins.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, filling them almost to the top. Add a sprinkle of oats if desired.
- Bake the muffins for 20-22 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store them in an air-tight container for up to 5 days, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
2. Avocado Toast with Cottage Cheese and Tomatoes
For all those who like their pre-workout snacks extra easy! No cooking required! Plus, who can say no to avocado toast? This pre-workout snack is packed with goodies such as omega 3-fatty acids, protein, and fiber. Because it’s so easy to prepare, you can even have this pre-workout snack at work, if you’re hitting the gym on your way home.
- ½ avocado
- 1 slice of whole-wheat toast
- 1 tbsp cottage cheese
- 2 tomato slices
- Smear the cottage cheese over the toast.
- Cut the avocado in slices and place on top of the cottage cheese. If you like, you can squish the avocado a bit with a fork.
Top it all off with the tomato slices and cut the slice of toast in half. If you like, you can add some grounded black pepper.
3. Cucumber Apple Mint Smoothie
If you’re not into the idea of eating a snack before your workout, maybe you’ll dig this awesome green smoothie. It’s fresh and sweet and will keep you going a lot longer than if you’d just drink a glass of water.
- ½ cucumber, peeled and cut into slices
- 1 hand of fresh mint leaves
- 1 medium-sized green apple, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ avocado, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- Place all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend for about half a minute or until you have a smooth mixture
- Add the ice cubes to your mixture and mix again for about half a minute.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in News
Recently the founder of LPRD, Anneloes, got interviewed by Pritisha Zalpuri from Women in Business. Get to know more about LPRD and the story behind the brand, and find out what made this brand revolve around leopard print.